Everyone has a day or so on occasion where bad breath is an uncomfortable issue. Perhaps drainage from a cold has your breath smelling “sickly,” or you indulged in an overly pungent meal and your breath reveals it. An issue like this is one that can be overlooked and is typically gone by the next day. However, if you suffer from chronic bad breath that affects your social and/or professional life, it is time to talk to your dentist.
Tips for dealing with bad breath:
- Practice good oral hygiene. The best place to start when dealing with bad breath is at your bathroom sink. Flossing and brushing are essential elements of your oral hygiene. Both of these habits clean the teeth and gums from bacteria-laden plaque. All bacteria are damaging and unpleasant, and the bacteria within your mouth lead to bad breath when they are left to grow in excessive quantities. With proper oral hygiene, you can help ward off bad breath.
- Stop all tobacco use. Aside from good oral hygiene practices, the best thing you can do to combat bad breath is to stop all tobacco use. Tobacco has no positive elements for the human body. Tobacco also has its own very strong smell. Together the negative effects caused by tobacco combined with its strong smell, causes it to leave behind very foul breath and an unhealthy mouth.
- Avoid odorous foods and beverages. There is no denying that some foods are just more odorous than others. Coffee, wine, alcohol, tea, onions, garlic, and cheeses are all notorious for causing bad breath. If you can, avoid these odorous foods and beverages and you will avoid them causing bad breath. However, when you cannot – or choose not to – avoid odorous foods and beverages, keep a toothbrush and mouthwash handy to use afterwards to mask bad breath.
- Avoid dehydration. The mouth needs a constant supply of saliva to help wash away bacteria from the mouth. If the mouth is dry, the bacteria will die inside the mouth and leave behind the smell of decay. Proper hydration is a simple way to help battle bad breath.
- Visit the dentist regularly. Regular visits to the dentist allow for your teeth to be deeply cleaned on a routine basis. If you suffer from bad breath, your dentist is your best advocate in dealing with this unpleasant issue.
Contact Peninsula Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today to schedule an appointment. We are here for all of your oral health care needs.