Do you have an imperfection in your smile that you wish you could change? Do you think that repairing your smile would cost too much money and that only the “rich and famous” get to have a perfect smile? Well, at Peninsula Dentistry, we are here to let you in on some good news: You can achieve the smile you want!
Cosmetic bonding is a cosmetic dentistry treatment that can be used to help you achieve a beautiful smile. This procedure can be used to brighten discolored teeth that do not respond well to teeth whitening procedures. It is also used frequently to repair a tooth that has been chipped. Another way cosmetic bonding is used is to recontour teeth. Often during orthodontic treatment, as the teeth move together, one or two teeth may look too small in the mouth. Cosmetic bonding can be used to make the teeth appear larger or longer so that they give your smile an overall seamless appearance.
Composite resin is a material that combines glass or ceramic and plastic polymers. This resin is used to create a new look. Cosmetic bonding is done in the following steps:
- The composite resin will be color-matched to your natural teeth.
- The tooth (or teeth) that needs to be repaired will be etched with a special liquid so that the resin will adhere to the tooth.
- The resin material will be molded so that its final shape will create the desired appearance.
- A special curing light will be used to harden the composite resin so that it “bonds” with the tooth.
- The tooth will then be polished so that no one will be able to tell the difference between your natural tooth and the section with resin.
Cosmetic bonding is a procedure that is readily available to most dental patients. If you have a small flaw, need to have a cavity filled and you don’t want a noticeable amalgam filling, or you want to improve other imperfections, cosmetic dental bonding may be the solution you need.
Contact Peninsula Dentistry today to learn more.